This classic soup is a favorite among many different cultures across the world. Adding Wondergrain makes it even healthier for you!
“Cook me, freeze me, reheat me and I will be as delicious as if you had just cooked me. I never, ever get soggy!”
Serves: Approx. 6
Prep time: Approx. 20 minutes
Cooking time: Approx. 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large cloves garlic finely minced (or use garlic press)
- ½ cup uncooked WONDERGRAIN sorghum
- ½ cup peeled and chopped tomatoes (may use canned)
- 9 cups vegetable broth (may use chicken broth)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground toasted cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup lentils
- Dried mint to taste
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, salt and sweat until onions are translucent, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add WONDERGRAIN sorghum, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and pepper. Stir to combine and increase heat to high to bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to Medium, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the lentils and cook until the WONDERGRAIN sorghum is tender with a bite (grain will not be soggy) and the lentils are soft, approximately 50 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- To serve, drop a dollop of plain Greek yogurt at the top center of the soup and sprinkle with dried mint. The addition of the mint and the yogurt adds amazing flavor to the soup.
- Toasting the cumin enhances the flavor.
- If too thick, add hot liquid.
- This soup is great prepared ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen. The grain will not be soggy.