“Cook me, freeze me, reheat me and I will be as delicious as if you had just cooked me. I never, ever get soggy!”
Serves: Approx. 5-6
Prep time: Approx. 15 minutes
Cook Time: Approx. 1 hour and 15 mins
- 1 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (also known as Pimento Dulce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large chicken thighs with skin and bones, excess skin and fat trimmed. (May substitute with white meat)
- 4 ounces 1/4-inch-thick slices fully cooked smoked Spanish chorizo
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups WONDERGRAIN pearled white sorghum grain (for a crunchier bite, may substitute with WONDERGRAIN whole grain white sorghum but add 2 cups more water and add 20 mn cooking time.)
- 7 cups chicken broth (If using whole grain, use 9 cups of broth)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped roasted red peppers from jar
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Lime or lemon wedges
- In a small bowl, mix white wine and saffron threads; set aside.
- Combine salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper in small bowl; rub spice mixture all over chicken.
- Heat heavy skillet or a paella pan over medium Sauté chorizo until fat begins to render and sausage brown, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a plate.
- Add olive oil to the drippings in the skillet. Add chicken to skillet and cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate with chorizo.
- Keep only 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet. Add chopped onion. Cook until translucent, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add WONDERGRAIN and stir to coat. Add wine-saffron mixture and bring to a quick boil on high, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil on high for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in roasted red peppers and browned chorizo. Place chicken atop mixture in skillet (You may add drippings from the bowl to the skillet for added flavor). Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover skillet tightly. Cook Paella until WONDERGRAIN is tender with a bite and the chicken is completely cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate. Stir WONDERGRAIN (grain should be soft with a pleasant bite);
- Add green peas and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Return chicken to skillet, nestling into rice. Cover. Cook until peas are ready, not more than 2 to 3 minutes. Dish should be moist, not dry.
- Turn heat to high for 30 to 40 seconds until you can smell WONDERGRAIN toasting at the bottom (Be careful not to burn it!). Now you are ready to enjoy your Chicken Paella with a twist!
- Serve with wedges of lime or lemon
- If the liquid amount seems O.K., keep going. If the liquid dries too fast, add some hot liquid.
- During the cooking process, lower the heat if you smell the bottom starting to burn.
- Remember that WONDERGRAIN yields 3 times its volume.
- To reheat, cover with a moistened paper towel and warm up in the microwave. May also be warmed up on the stovetop.
- If too dry, add (do not drench) some liquid.